The International Trade and Customs Manager is responsible for managing regulatory processes and ensuring Trailer Bridge shipments comply with the rules and regulations of Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and US Customs compliance. The International Trade and Customs Manager will also monitor all related processes to ensure transmissions of bills of ladings, and manifests are within acceptable standards and meet all regulatory requirements for our regulatory agencies. This position also ensures that acceptable standards are maintained and that processes are efficient.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures that all shipments conform to U.S. Governmental and foreign regulations.
- Ensure compliance with Customs authorities and other global government entities, etc.
- Oversees the required record retention of documents to ensure record-keeping and reporting requirements are maintained in accordance with the U.S. regulations and are also in a manner whereby audits are completed quickly and without material issues.
- Identification and correction of Export Compliance Gaps.
- Train business functions with regards to U. S. import/export regulations, as well as international logistics and processes.
- Keep up-to-date on all applicable import/export laws, regulations and company policies.
- Manage process for filing Arbitrios with Department of Hacienda and ensure transmissions and complete and deadlines are met.
- Manage process for submitting US Customs Manifest and ensure transmissions are complete and deadlines are met.
- Manage process for submitting PRPA reports for wharfage filings and ensure transmissions are complete and deadlines are met.
- Manage process to ensure compliance with AES requirements for Electronic Export Information (EEI) and assure transmissions are complete and deadlines are met
- Manage process for all In-bond transactions for proper filing and closings
- Manage process for filing AMS for International voyage manifests for clearance and discharge of vessels to avoid delays, penalties and fines.
- Comply with all regulatory bodies for clearance and discharge of vessels to avoid delays, penalties and fines.
- Ensure vessel arrival/departure notices are sent to CBP by deadlines
- Document work instructions to department policy and procedure manuals for procedural compliance.
- Minimize corrections issued to Dept of Hacienda through actively training and offering resources to Support Services teams to avoid duplication of errors.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage employee daily work flow and monitor performance in accordance with assigned objectives and company disciplinary policy
- Continually pursue cross training within the department and organization.
- Uphold company policies, and supports equal opportunity employment objectives.
- Handle other duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President and company executives.
- 8-10 years of experience in trade/compliance management; equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Strong familiarity with applicable regulations and customs reporting and filing requirements, Licensed Customs Broker is a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in logistics, business administration or a related discipline; or equivalent combination of post high school and equal experience may be substituted for education.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Strong PC and software skills, preferably in an AS400 environment, as well as a working knowledge of Excel spreadsheet development
- Ability to gather, interpret, report, and use data and other information concerning assigned activities
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles, and practices of import forwarding, customs brokerage, operations, ports and world geography in a domestic and/or international capacity.
- Experience leading the development, implementation and management of a trade compliance program.
- In-depth knowledge of international trade policies and regulations of applicable government entities.
- Ability to read and interpret government regulations.
- Ability to interact with other departments, communicate at a higher level and to develop and deliver in person training.
- Able to work independently, exercising good judgment and analytical skills.
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from executive management, clients and customers
- Skill in preparing clear and concise documents, including, but not limited to reports, procedures, correspondences, and other written materials
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Good analytical skills with attention to detail
- Ability to recognize events and issues that should be raised to other teams.
- Ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based upon data analysis.
- Good sense of urgency
- Team and production oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work with all levels of the organization
- Supports the culture of Trailer Bridge by modeling and encouraging the TB12 – Trailer Bridge’s core values
EEO/AA Institution. Protected veterans and individuals with disability encouraged to apply.